Can colour really tell you much about the kinds of nutrients your getting from the food you’re eating??
You hear it everywhere you go, from everyone you meet, sometime their factual and sometime not. Can colour really tell you much about the kinds of nutrients your getting from the food your eating?? Absolutely!!! And we want to help show you with some tasty morning shakes!
Carrots are good for your eyesight, dark greens are high in iron, blueberries are filled with antioxidants… Have you heard those before? While these are all true, it’s just scratching the surface.
Starting Monday Mel and I will be covering the seven colours of the light spectrum with a morning smoothie each day. Each one will be jam packed full of nutrients; some for an energy boost, some for inflammation reduction and some to boost your immune system for the ongoing flu season. Our aim will be to make these taste as yummy as possible so that we can all learn to crave these healthy morning shakes.
We’ll use this as a running post for the week, adding each day’s recipe, photo/video, and any fun facts about the products we’re using. Add any comments with recipes you try at home, questions you might have or anything else that comes to mind!!
MONDAY (GREEN SMOOTHIE)
- 1 cup coconut water – Natures best hydrator!
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds – Great for digestive health!
- 1/2 cup steel cut rolled oats (Yes they will blend down, and will add a wicked texture to your smoothie!)
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp MCT Oil – Essentially coconut oil, great for sustained energy!
- 1 tsp Prairie Natural Aqua Greens (Spirulina/Chorella mix)
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 square inch piece of fresh ginger
Blend up and its ready to serve. We used all organic ingredients accept for the coconut water (they were out of the good stuff :P). To note, yes coconut oil is made up of mostly saturated fats, BUT they behave quite unusual once inside your body, actually helping to withdraw toxins from your cells. The aqua greens have so many health benefits to them, visit www.prairienaturals.ca for more info on their organic spirulina and chorella, or keep an eye on our page, we’ll be taking a closer look at these superfoods later in the month!! Give this one a try and let us know what you think!!!
Tuesday (ORANGE SMOOTHIE)
- 1 meduim apple
- 1 large pear
- 1 scoop (around 14g) of organic rice protein powder from Prairie Naturals
- 1 tbsp organic maca root
- 1 tbsp dried currants
Fire this all through the Vitamix blender and it came out smooth and sat great for us during our Crossfit style workout today! (Makes 2X500ml servings)
Wednesday (RED SMOOTHIE)
I was really wanting to try some fresh cherry juice for our red smoothie, so Mel came up with this awesome recipe to give you a great hit of antioxidants, and make it sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth!
- 1 cup strawberries
- 3/4 (ish) cup of cranberries
- 500mL dark cherrie juice
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 scoop (around 14g) of Prairie Natural’s Hemp Protein (**This hemp protein mixes better than any other protein I’ve ever tried – vegan or not!)
Thursday (PURPLE SMOOTHIE)
With both of us hitting a double workout today, we focused on keeping this one high in calories, but still keeping it nutrient packed. We hope you like!
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large purple beet
- 1 cup organic edamame beans
- 2 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
Friday (INDIGO SMOOTHIE)
This was a quick and easy one we whipped up. Probably one of the best tasting ones we made to date! Don’t let the “mint” colour fool you, although this one does taste delicious, it does not have a mint flavour to it whatsoever.
Saturday (YELLOW SMOOTHIE)
^ Click to watch! ^
- 1 cup organic green tea (honey and ginger flavoured)
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 ambrosia apple
- 2-3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tsp Prairie Naturals L-Glutamine
Sunday (BLUE SMOOTHIE)
High in sugars, balanced with alkalizers, mixed with super fuel, and you’re heading for a productive and energetic finish to your weekend. Somehow our blueberries fell short of keeping this one a deep blue colour, so they turned out a purply blue mix :S but they packs an awesome flavour! We hope you’ve enjoyed following along and had the chance to try some of these recipes out. We’re always looking for new twists on our blended diets so please share whatever secrets you have!!
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop Prairie Naturals Hemp Protein powder (Blueberry/pomegranate flavour)
- 1 tsp 14 mushroom blend powder (See photo)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Small handfull of almonds